Although ordering the abortion pill online seems like a private way to have an abortion, it comes with major risks. Before hitting that “buy” button online, here’s what you should know.
The Risks of Ordering the Abortion Pill Online
It’s always a risk to order prescription pills online. Here are a few:
- When you order the abortion pill online, the unverified chemicals that could be in the pill and the lack of a pre-abortion screening process pose major threats to your health.
- Online abortion pill providers are often overseas and do not meet FDA guidelines. Abortion pills online may have unlisted risks and side effects.
- The dosage of online abortion pills could be less, which may lead to an incomplete abortion and life-threatening effects.
The decision is yours, but the risks are there. The pre-abortion screening process is for your safety to protect you and alert you to any complications.
What Is the Abortion Pill?
The abortion pill is also known as medication abortion, which uses two different drugs: Mifepristone and Misoprostol. These two drugs work to end a pregnancy and are only effective for women up to 11 weeks pregnant.
First, Mifepristone causes the lining of the uterus to thin and prevents the embryo from growing. Misoprostol is taken 24-48 hours later and causes your body to contract and expel the contents of your pregnancy.
Risks of Medication Abortion (The Abortion Pill)
- Heavy and prolonged bleeding
- Digestive system discomfort
- Incomplete abortion, which may need to be followed by surgical abortion
- An ongoing pregnancy if the procedure doesn’t work
Confirm Your Pregnancy
It’s vital to confirm your pregnancy before making a pregnancy decision. You can do this through a lab-quality pregnancy test and ultrasound. An ultrasound allows you to know if you even qualify for abortion and if your pregnancy is viable (has a heartbeat).
Make a free and confidential pregnancy test appointment today at our Metro Women’s Center. If you are pregnant, we can give you a referral for a free ultrasound. We are here to walk alongside you in your pregnancy journey.